Emergency Financial Assistance Program
Who is eligible to receive financial assistance from Angel Foundation?
- Must be over 18 years of age.
- Must have a cancer diagnosis.
- Must be in active treatment (chemotherapy, radiation, bone marrow transplant, hospice, palliative care or surgery with a recovery time in excess of four weeks.) Hormone therapy is not considered active treatment.
- Must be living in or treated in the seven-county metro area of Minnesota (Ramsey, Dakota, Washington, Anoka, Hennepin, Carver, or Scott counties).
- Must meet the financial guidelines set by Angel Foundation.
- Patient may only receive financial assistance once in a 24 month period.
How can a patient use the financial assistance he/she receives?
- Rent or mortgage payment
- Home phone or cell phone bill
- Gas, electric, or water bill
- Garbage bill
- Cub Foods gift cards
- Gasoline purchases using Holiday fuel cards
What cannot be paid for using the financial assistance a patient receives?
- Medical expenses
- Dental expenses
- Childcare fees
- Credit card payments
- Cable bills
- Internet bills
- Car payments/insurance
- Insurance fees
How does someone apply for assistance?
- Print the online Emergency Financial Assistance Application
- The health care provider/social worker completes the Medical Information Form
- The patient completes the Release Form and Patient Information Form
- The three completed pages are then sent back to Angel Foundation via mail or fax. If the application is incomplete, Angel Foundation will not accept the document and will return it to the patient and/or health care provider/social worker for completion.
- Review of the completed application by Angel Foundation typically occurs within one week.
- The patient will receive an email or letter indicating if they have been approved and if so, for what amount.
- The patient will receive a letter and Bill Payment Form from Angel Foundation in the mail. He/she should submit the completed Bill Payment Form and the bills he/she desires to have paid by the financial assistance to Angel Foundation.
- Checks are made payable directly to the vendors, but are sent to the patient to forward to the vendor.
- Cub Food cards and Holiday gas cards are sent directly to the patient.
Can patients visit the Angel Foundation office to expedite the process?
While we are unable to take walk-ins, we are available by phone or email to answer questions. Call (612) 627-9000 or email email@example.com.
Can a patient apply again after the initial financial assistance is received?
Patients may apply again in 24 months if they are still in active treatment.
What if a patient dies during the application process or hadn’t used up their entire amount of financial assistance?
As long as the application is approved prior to the date of death, the patient’s immediate family members have the rights to the remaining financial assistance dollar amount.
What services does Facing Cancer Together provide?
The Facing Cancer Together program provides expertise in adult oncology support. Focusing on how cancer affects the entire family, we provide consults throughout the entire cancer experience (new diagnosis, survivorship, recurrence, end-of-life), year-round therapeutic programs, and a variety of online resources.
Who qualifies for the Facing Cancer Together program?
Facing Cancer Together is offered to Minnesota families with children (ages 0-26) who are facing a parental or caregiver cancer diagnosis. Program activities are provided free-of-charge to any local family, including those who do not qualify for Angel Foundation’s Emergency Financial Assistance program.
What do parents learn?
Parenting through cancer can be difficult. Through Facing Cancer Together programming, parents learn how to open up healthy lines of communication with their children; how to talk honestly about their diagnosis; and to be aware of different behaviors that may manifest in their child. Parents are also encouraged to reflect on their own needs, identify reliable self-care techniques, and build a support network through interaction with other families who attend program activities.
What do children learn?
Children learn about cancer by attending age-appropriate programs such as Camp Angel, medical play sessions, field trips, and family retreats. These activities also teach children they cannot “catch” cancer (nor did they cause their parent’s cancer) and that it’s okay to cry. Lastly, they benefit from a community of strong peer support alongside other kids who are going through a similar experience. Through Facing Cancer Together, children see that they do not have to go through the cancer experience alone.
Donate to Angel Foundation
Where does Angel Foundation’s funding come from?
Angel Foundation is fortunate to receive funding from a variety of sources including individuals, businesses, foundations, special events and community fundraisers.
What is the organization’s current annual revenue budget?
The revenue budget for 2015 was $2.1 million dollars.
How much of my donation will go to program support?
Seventy-four percent of our revenue is re-invested back into programming for adults with cancer and their families.
Is my contribution deductible?
Angel Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and all contributions are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
Can I designate my gift to support a specific program?
If you would like your gift to support a specific program such as Facing Cancer Together, Camp Angel, or Financial Assistance, please note that in the memo line of your check.
Do you accept honor and memorial gifts?
Every day more and more people are selecting to celebrate a special birthday or anniversary or make a gift in memory of a loved one with a gift to Angel Foundation. When you make your gift, please note the person being honored, or the next of kin for memorial gifts, along with their address and we will send them a card informing them of your gift.
Does United Way support Angel Foundation?
Angel Foundation is not a United Way funded organization however, we are fortunate that during employer driven United Way campaigns, many individuals will “write in” Angel Foundation as their charity.
How can I donate?
- You can make a credit card donation online through our secure webpage at www.mnangel.org/waystogive/donate.
- To make a credit card donation by phone, call us at (612) 627-9000.
- You can also mail your credit card request or check payable to Angel Foundation to:
1155 Centre Pointe Drive, Suite 7
Mendota Heights, MN 55120
What volunteer opportunities are available at Angel Foundation?
Angel Foundation has several special events throughout the year including Angel Gala and Angel & Eagles Golf Classic, among others (check our website for dates and information) and we are often in need of volunteers to help with the planning and execution of these events. There are also administrative opportunities at our office on a regular basis as well. Please contact Heidi Johnson at (612) 627-9000 ext. 506 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How could our school, church or community group contribute to your mission?
Throughout the course of the year, many groups or individuals host fundraisers to benefit Angel Foundation. To assist in planning these events you can find information on our webpage click here.
How would I request a speaker to provide more information about Angel Foundation to employee or community groups?
Angel Foundation welcomes the opportunity to promote greater awareness of its programs through its speaker’s bureau. Contact Sarah Manes for further information, email@example.com
What are Angel Foundation’s Branding Guidelines?
If you are hosting a community fundraiser and need more information about using Angel Foundation’s logo or other branding information, they can be viewed or downloaded here.